Oct 9, 2016

Hitting a Vein

The Speed of DKA and how hitting a vein can create all kinds of chaos in the life of a Type 1 Diabetic using an insulin pump (written Jan 9 2015)


When I have put a site in and hit a vein...I have super high blood sugars even though my cannula isn't kinked and the only thing I can think is the pressure of the blood is preventing the insulin from absorbing...I don't know because my pump never alarms...

It happened today and I went 3 hours without insulin....I woke up at 7:30 at 86...ate breakfast at 9.  Breakfast was nuts, seeds, an orange and some dried coconut...all of which I took insulin for..and changed my site at 9:30 (due to a low reservoir warning),  just before leaving for 3 hours.  When I got done and checked my blood sugar at Noon before going home, I was 343....I started to bolus and the pain was incredible...I suspended the pump to stop the bolus.......

---I was picking up my daughter and said we needed to hurry home so I could change my site again because it was bad....when I got home my blood sugar was 431....it was only a 20 min drive....


I pulled the site out as soon as I got home...my site started gushing blood....crap...hit a vein...changed site, took a shot with all the insulin my pump called for plus the extra percentage that my doctor and I have worked out for situations just like this.

I drank water and did the whole high bg thing of water, relieve, water, relieve---

2 hours later I ate lunch of salad with only veggies and took no insulin for it...those 3 extra units can cover that too...checked my blood an hour later and was :  gasp....106---the site change worked...   

then I talked to my husband about going back to shots and he reminded me how much of a hassle it was doing that...didn't I remember?  Nope...all I remember now is how easy it was to come down and how it only took one shot....

No comments: